The St. Charles music program provides a basic understanding of and appreciation for many types of music. Students learn techniques for listening, reading, and performing music and learn about famous composers and their works. Singing, playing instruments, speech, and movement are used to learn and experience musical concepts.
- Students in grades K-4 participate in the general music program.
- Students in grade 3 learn to play the recorder.
- Students in grades 5-8 have the option of participating in band or choir. The middle school choir program is divided into two sections: 5-6 choir and 7-8 choir. The band program is divided into two sections: beginning band and advanced band.
Special musical performances:
- Elementary Patriotic Performance (K-4)
- Advent Service (K-4)
- Christmas Band and Choir Concert (Middle School)
- Spring Band and Choir Concert (Middle School)
- Elementary Spring Concert in Honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary (K-4)
- St. Charles Parish VIP Band Performance (Middle School)
Middle school students who elect to sing in choir meet once a week. Students sing a variety of songs from sacred and secular music, and have the opportunity to sing solos, in small groups or as a whole choir. Students are also given the opportunity to play instruments that accompany a choir piece, or to play a featured solo piece. In the fall, students begin preparing for the Christmas concert, and in the late winter they prepare for the Spring concert. “Singing is like praying twice.” Music is not only a part of academic life at St. Charles, but it’s a part of the spiritual life, too. Students are encouraged to help lead singing at school Masses by being a part of a cantor or schola ensemble for special occasions.
St. Charles School uses the Totino-Grace Fine Arts Academy for its band program. The staff of the Fine Arts Academy are area professionals and directors who are currently on staff at Totino-Grace High School. Students participate in group band as well as small-group lessons. Instruction takes place once a week at St. Charles. Students put on two concerts during the school year: one in December and one in May. Find out more information about band enrollment!
Read the Weekly Update 19 - February 2, 2023 for the latest news on what’s happening at St. Charles School. Submissions: To submit an article for the Weekly Update, please send your submission by Tuesday at 2 pm to the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our annual Borromeo Bash is set for Saturday, April 22, 2023! Save the date for our spring fundraiser, the Borromeo Bash, which will be held on Saturday, April 22, 2023. The theme is Black Tie (Black and White Apparel only). Please help us collect auction items! If...
Read the Weekly Update 18-January 26, 2023 for the latest news on what’s happening at St. Charles School. Submissions: To submit an article for the Weekly Update, please send your submission by Tuesday at 2 pm to the school office at email@example.com.