The 6th grade curriculum at St. Charles includes both academic and religious study, including: English/language arts, math, science, social studies, and religion.
Meet our Middle School teachers.
6th Grade Academic Study
- Plot Rational Numbers on a Number Line and Ordered Pairs on a Coordinate Plane
- Understand Ratios and Percentages
- Determine Equivalences among Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages
- Greatest Common Factors (GCM) and Least Common Multiples (LCM)
- Multiply and Divide Decimals, Fractions, and Mixed Numbers
- Order of Operations (PEMDAS)
- Prime Factorization
- Use Patterns, Tables, Graphs, and Rules to Solve Problems
- Use Associative, Commutative, and Distributive Properties to Evaluate Expressions
- Interpret Equations and Inequalities Involving Variables and Positive Rational Numbers
- Calculate Perimeter, Area, Surface Area, and Volume of 2D And 3D Figures
- Angle Relationships in Geometric Figures
- Convert Units of Measurement
- Represent Probabilities Using Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages
- Basic Chemistry for Earth Science
- Mapping the Earth
- Rocks and Minerals
- Crustal Movement
- Scientific Method
- Lab Measurement, Tools, Safety, and Reports
- Precision and Accuracy
- Inference and Observation
- Dimensional Analysis
- Nature of Science
- Design, build, and program Lego Robots
- Engineering Design Cycle
- Uses of Robotics
- Natural Disasters and Disaster Recovery Cycle
- Rube-Goldberg Machines
- Various Engineering-Based Projects
- Examines the Catholic Vision of World History
- Prehistoric Man
- Ancient Sumer, Egypt, and Israel
- Classical Greece and Rome
- Byzantine Empire and Islamic Empires
- Europe from the Middle Ages through the Enlightenment
- History of China, Japan, and Russia
- Use of Primary and Secondary Sources
- Reading Strategies
- Comprehension Strategies, including Graphic Organizers
- Prediction and Inference
- Monitor and Clarify
- Evaluate and Summarize
- Fact and Opinion
- Sentence Structure and Types
- Mechanics (Parts of Speech, Capitalization, Punctuation)
- Quotations and Dialogue
- Writing a Good Paragraph, Story, Paper
- Oral Presentations
- Long-Term Writing Project (Autobiography)
- Journaling and Shorter Writing Assignments
- Novels: Wonder (R.J. Palacio), Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry (Mildred Taylor)
- Stories and Articles within the Holocaust Unit
- Old Testament Studies
- “God’s Merciful Love,” Incorporating God’s Message of Merciful Love to the Israelites into Our Daily Lives
Art, Spanish, Music, Computer, and Physical Education are also incorporated into the curriculum at St. Charles. Find out more about our Specialists here.
Visit our School!
Come visit our school and see the difference of a Catholic education! Contact us below to arrange your personal tour, shadow day or to request more information.
Show off your Chargers pride and get new Spirit Wear items, such as hats, t-shirts, shorts, sweat pants, jackets, and more.
Donate to St. Charles
Give a gift of Faith and Knowledge for Life! Support the St. Charles Borromeo School Annual Fund.
Weekly Update 24 – May 25, 2023
Read the Weekly Update 34 - May 25, 2023 for the latest news on what’s happening at St. Charles School. Submissions: To submit an article for the Weekly Update, please send your submission by Tuesday at 2 pm to the school office at email@example.com.
Weekly Update 33 – May 18, 2023
Read the Weekly Update 33 - May 18, 2023 for the latest news on what’s happening at St. Charles School. Submissions: To submit an article for the Weekly Update, please send your submission by Tuesday at 2 pm to the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The end-of-the-year celebration is near!
We hope you can join us for a family FUN event for all parish and school families on the LAST day of school to celebrate the beginning of summer!