The 8th grade curriculum at St. Charles includes both academic and religious study, including: English/language arts, math, science, social studies, and religion. Get the 8th grade Social Studies texts here.
Meet our Middle School teachers.
8th Grade Academic Study
- Analyzing, Summarizing, and Inferring
- Recognizing Details
- Literary Elements, including Figures of Speech, Alliteration, Hyperbole, etc.
- Theme, Tone, Setting, Characterization, Genre
- Point of View
- Sentence Structure/Types
- Mechanics, including Parts of Speech, Capitalization, Punctuation
- Quotations and Dialogue
- Writing a Good Paragraph, Story, Paper
- Vocabulary and Spelling, including Definitions, Antonyms and Synonyms, Roots
- Keeping a Journal
- Novels: The Giver (Lois Lowry), The Pearl (John Steinbeck)
- Classify rational and irrational numbers
- Determine square roots
- Positive and negative exponents
- Weighted averages and mixture problems
- Distinguish between relationships, linear and non-linear functions
- Scientific notation
- Represent functions with tables, verbal descriptions, symbols and graphs
- Arithmetic and geometric sequences
- Calculate the slope, x- and y- intercepts of a line
- Write equation of a line in standard and slope-intercept form
- Graph equations and inequalities
- Represent situations using equations and inequalities involving linear expressions
- Solve equations and inequalities symbolically and graphically
- Solve systems of equations
- Parallel and perpendicular lines
- Add and subtract monomials and polynomials
- Multiply and divide monomials and polynomials (FOIL)
- Quadratic formula
- Simplify radical expressions
- Trigonometric ratios
- Scatter plots and lines of best fit
- Permutations and combinations
- Science skills
- Properties of Matter
- Atomic Structure
- Periodic Table Organization
- Chemical Bonding
- Chemical Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Forces and Motion (including motion math)
- Simple Machines
- Electricity & Magnetism
Science skills (integrated through four years of middle school):
- Scientific Method
- Lab Measurement, Tools, Safety, and Reports
- Precision and Accuracy
- Inference and Observation
- Dimensional Analysis
- Nature of Science
Topics (integrated through four years of middle school):
- Design, build, and program Lego Robots
- Engineering Design Cycle
- Uses of Robotics
- Natural Disasters and Disaster Recovery Cycle
- Rube-Goldberg Machines
- Various Engineering-Based Projects
- Examine the Roots of U.S. Culture and Society
- Foundation of America, from Colonization to Nation
- English Influence on Institutions, Social Ideas, Governmental Notions
- Colonial Period
- Revolutionary Period
- Constitutional Period
- Activities and Simulations Allow Students to Experience History, including:
- Edmund Campion Trial
- Spanish Armada Game
- Game of Empire Trade Simulation
- Examine Christian Life through Study of the Sacraments
- How Christ Meets Us and Gives Us Grace through the Church
- Trinity as Model for Christian Moral Life
- Virtues, Commandments, and Beatitudes
- Fulfillment through Prayer, the Sacraments, and Our Relationships with God and Others
- Liturgy of the Hours
- Lectio Divina
- Serra Club Vocations Field Trip
Art, Spanish, Music, Computer, and Physical Education are also incorporated into the curriculum at St. Charles. Find out more about our Specialists here.
Visit our School!
Come visit our school and see the difference of a Catholic education! Contact us below to arrange your personal tour, shadow day or to request more information.
Show off your Chargers pride and get new Spirit Wear items, such as hats, t-shirts, shorts, sweat pants, jackets, and more.
Donate to St. Charles
Give a gift of Faith and Knowledge for Life! Support the St. Charles Borromeo School Annual Fund.
Weekly Update 24 – May 25, 2023
Read the Weekly Update 34 - May 25, 2023 for the latest news on what’s happening at St. Charles School. Submissions: To submit an article for the Weekly Update, please send your submission by Tuesday at 2 pm to the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Weekly Update 33 – May 18, 2023
Read the Weekly Update 33 - May 18, 2023 for the latest news on what’s happening at St. Charles School. Submissions: To submit an article for the Weekly Update, please send your submission by Tuesday at 2 pm to the school office at email@example.com.
The end-of-the-year celebration is near!
We hope you can join us for a family FUN event for all parish and school families on the LAST day of school to celebrate the beginning of summer!